I would like to point out a few things first –
- Java has the largest ecosystem among all the languages. So it may take you some time to get used to it. Give it 2 years, and it will be worth the effort. ( Though this should be true for every programming language)
- If you want to get quick output, I’m afraid, java is probably not the right tool for the job.
- Java is essentially a lower level language than other languages like Python or Ruby. You sacrifice some productivity, but gain a lot of finer control and substantial performance. But if you’re building smaller apps like blogs and such with limited performance requirements, Java may not be the best too.
- There is no black magic in Java ecosystem. If you want to do certain things using java, you really have to know in detail and it requires a good amount of time and continuous effort.
- Android is not Java. Android uses a small part of Java, but it’s far from true Java.
That being said, let me tell you some good things about Java.
- It has been 21 years since the first release. Almost all known problems in software development have been solved using Java. You will find anything and everything that can be solved using Java. This is a huge leverage. If you can’t figure out something, you really do not have to sweat, you will definitely find something on google .
- It’s open source, so you can read every bit of its source code.
- Some people always keep saying that Java is dead and all kinds of things, do not believe them. Honestly, they have no idea. All the large organizations are using Java and they will continue to do so. Most of the sophisticated enterprise software e.g. ( IBM, Google, Oracle, Facebook, Netflix, Amazon, eBay, Linkedin, Alibaba’s softwares), financial services, health and medical services, big data technologies, high-frequency trading software, scientific programs are written in Java. Do you think they will go disappear overnight? The answer is a big Noooo.
- Pay matters. Recent reports confirm Java programmers are among the highest paid programmers in the software industry. (true, google it) : http://www.indeed.com/salary/Java-Developer.html
- If you just know Java well enough, most other languages-technologies will be very easy for you, and some of them will take only a week to peek even. The reason is, most of the other technologies simply copied things from Java ecosystem. You will find a lot of similarities there.
- Java is the most popular language on Earth, you do not really have to worry about a job. Checkout: (Http://www.tiobe.com/tiobe_index?page=index)
- There are number of Java shops in Dhaka : https://www.facebook.com/notes/java-user-group-bangladesh-jugbd/list-of-company-at-dhaka-using-java/906671442712875
- A few more reasons to learn java: https://blogs.oracle.com/oracleuniversity/entry/10_reasons_why_you_should
Are you still here?